Evelo Biosciences is seeking a talented and highly motivated Scientific Director of Preclinical Pharmacology-Oncology to join our dynamic team.
Evelo Biosciences, founded by Flagship VentureLabs, is discovering drugs based on the immuno-microbiome, bacterial-based medicines for the treatment of cancer and inflammatory diseases.
Reporting to the SVP of Research, the successful candidate will partner closely with the Evelo leadership team to drive and support the strategic direction of the company’s discovery platform and product pipeline for oncology. This individual will lead a team that develops and delivers preclinical strategy to elucidate drug mechanisms of action and activity in oncology-relevant animal models. The team will establish and oversee state-of-the-art, robust in vivo oncology models which predict activity in humans. Also, the team will evaluate the pharmacodynamics and kinetics of bacterial products administered to animal models to drive a quantitative assessment of mechanisms of action and target engagement. A key expectation of this critical role will be to develop the essential capacity and expertise to enable rapid prioritization of drug candidates and select clinical indications.
In addition, this individual will be responsible for leading a cross-functional team of research scientists, external collaborators and CROs to deliver high-quality outcomes in this new field of drug discovery and development. Partnering with Evelo’s leadership, s/he will determine the appropriate balance of investments in internal and external resources.
The successful candidate will possess exceptional scientific leadership and a deep understanding of immuno-oncology, translational research, and drug discovery.
- Provide exceptional and rigorous scientific leadership to effectively lead an internal laboratory and external teams focused on preclinical in vivo pharmacology and oncology.
- Foster scientific and technical innovation through hands-on collaboration and engagement with Evelo’s research teams.
- Rapidly establish an in vivo platform for evaluating the human immune tumor immune microenvironment and efficacy in relevant in vivo models.
- Deliver results with a focus on impacting Evelo’s pipeline.
- Participate and thrive in an interactive, dynamic, and team oriented culture
Qualifications and skills:
- PhD or PhD/MD degree in a relevant scientific field.
- A minimum of 5-10 years’ post-doctoral experience in translational research, oncology, preclinical immune pharmacology and/or drug discovery.
- Previous biotech or pharma industry experience is desired for the role.
- A strong background in oncology, immunology, experience in the microbiome field is a plus.
- Experience in clinical drug development is beneficial, including basic or advanced understanding of critical development functions. For example, clinical pharmacology, regulatory, safety, operations, biostatistics, etc.
- Demonstrated success in building, leading and managing scientific teams.
- Proven ability to deliver impactful results through external collaborations.
- Recognized scientific leadership as documented by references and external presentations.
- Possesses outstanding presentation and communication skills.
- Proven ability to lead, influence and motivate others.
- Able to distill complex issues and clearly articulate innovative solutions.
- Demonstrated effectiveness and growth in a fast-paced and dynamic team environment.